Abingdon Buildings and People (ABP)
Abingdon Buildings and People is the name of the History Section of the Abingdon Town Council website. It was created and is managed by a group of AAAHS members for the Council and involves original research and writing, mostly by the group but also by outside specialists. Since its start in 2013 it has expanded into a comprehensive resource for anyone interested in Abingdon's heritage and history. These pages present the history of the town through short articles on individual buildings and important figures from Abingdon's past. It is expected to reach 200 articles in 2020. Find it on http://www.abingdon.gov.uk/partners/history
Heritage Open Days (HOD) will run from 11 - 20 September 2020.
As part of HOD, ABP is creating six town walks that will take you to 43 Buildings that you can look up on the Town Council website. Individual articles on Buildings will also give links to articles on people associated with them.
Here is a list of the walks that are being created:
- Abingdon Bridge and Bridge Street
- The Guildhall and the Abbey
- East St Helen Street and St Helen's Wharf
- St Helen's Church Yard and St Helen's Street
- Our Lady and St Edmund's, Stert Street and High Street (Test Version)
- Barton Manor (Test Audio Version)
- The Square and Ock Street